Organize Today Learn more about organizing your workplace!
Organized labor has had an important roll in your life, whether you have been in a Union, or not. When your current employer is taking advantage of you and your co-workers, you need to form a union. America was built on unions, and the time to orginize against greed is now.
Please Click the Organize Today link to send your information to a Business Agent.
Deceptive "Right-to- Work" Laws Hurt Everyone
By many measures, quality of life is worse in states with so-called "right-to-work" laws. Wages are lower, poverty levels are higher as are workplace fatality rates.
States with "Right-to-Work" Laws Have Lower Wages and Incomes
States with "Right-to-Work" Laws Have Higher Workplace Fatality Rates
States Should Decide if They Want "Right-to-Work"
1 Bureau of Labor Statistics, Quarterly Census of Employment and Wages (all industries, all establishments, average annual pay), 2014 data. Numbers are rounded ($50,510.58 and $44,401.17).
2 U.S. Census Bureau, Table H-8. Median Household Income by State: 1984 to 2014.
3 CFED, Asset and Opportunity Scorecard, Low Wage Jobs, 2013.
4 Bureau of Labor Statistics, National Census of Fatal Occupational Injuries in 2014.
My Weingarten Rights
"If this discussion could in any way lead to my being disciplined or terminated, or affect my personal working conditions, I respectfully request that my union representative or steward be present at this meeting. If this discussion could lead to my being disciplined and you deny my request for representation, I choose not to answer any questions."
In 1975, the Supreme Court ruled in the Weingarten decision, that an employee is entitled to have a union representative present during any interview which may result in his or her discipline. It is up to you to insist on union representation. If you fail to do so, you may waive your rights.
Do the following:
- Ask your supervisor if you might be disciplined as a result of the interview.
- If he says, "NO," ask for a written statement to that effect.
- If he gives you such a statement, you must participate in the interview.
- If not, read him your Weingarten rights, remain for the meeting, take notes, and afterwards immediately contact your union representative.
- If he says you might be disciplined but will not allow you to have a union representative present, read him your Weingarten rights, stay in the room, take notes, and do not respond to any questions. Afterwards, contact your union representative immediately.
- If he allows your union representative to be present, you should participate in the interview.
Teamster News Headlines Connection Failure: This usually happens when the news feed URL is entered incorrectly. Central States International Brotherhood of Teamsters Labor World MN Teamster Apprenticeship Program MN Teamsters Service Bureau Teamsters Credit Union Teamsters Joint Council 32 Teamsters Joint Council 32 DRIVE Teamster Magazine Teamsters National Pipeline Weingarten Rights Workman's Comp Attorney - Duluth, MN Zenith - MN Teamsters Construction Division H&W